Thursday, March 5, 2009

Man that is going to leave a bruise!

So we got our power bill today.

578! Do you believe that man! That is a new record. Now I started to think that is the biggest that it has ever been and that is seemed a bit well, FRIGGIN HIGH!

So I started to back track to the same month this time last year. Now granted it was not as cold last year this time but still. It was approx 150 dollars less and I ran everything the same way as I did this time.

Hummm, so I started to do a little research. As it turns out Gulf Power of the last 5 years has increased the power bill by 55%(and I am being nice by rounding down). You got that? 55% in 5 years! In 2003 gas cost 1.78, today I put gas in the car is was 1.87. Someone tell me how gas went up 5% and my electrical when up 55% in the same amount of time. Honestly Gulf Power are you serious?

So I started looking into a little bit more. 4% increase here, 10% increase there, 11.3 % for the last two years...They baby stepped us into a really significant change over 5 years. Like compounding interest we did not see it just one day 5 years down the road our power bill is twice as much and I don't know about you guys but my raises don't keep up with that...not even close.

If you had and average power bill of 75 dollars in 2003 it is about 158 now...just crazy.

It hurts.

Scott - 247.
.

8 comments:

snowelf said...

Oh I hear you! My electric bill has been outrageous too! Not as high as yours, but between three hundred and four hundred dollars a month. Thank god gas prices went down. I had to shut all of my heat off downstairs because I seriously cannot afford that every month. I'm just afraid.

--snow

Anonymous said...

Scott, I feel your pain but there is no surprise here. Our electric has gone through the roof. This is a direct result of limiting the ways in which electric can be generated in this country. Coal and nuclear are the two most efficient means and they have been severely curtailed by environmental lobby groups. It will get much worse as the current administration takes hold. Everything has a price........

Larry C

TomatoSurfer said...

I seriously want to research solar and wind power. My neighborhood has no real restrictions.

The Phosgene Kid said...

Evil bastards!! Our company owns the water and the power so we get bent over twice.

javajo said...

Good lord. That just isn't right. I don't spend that much in a year for electricity and natural gas put together. Electricity is electricity. Why does it cost so much more to generate it in a country where the infrastructure is much better developed?

Anonymous said...

Nobody really knows what advances in technology and manufacturing will come in the next 10 years or so but my best educated guess is that neither solar nor wind generated electricity will be cost effective to the consumer over our lifetime, period. Oh sure, it is relatively simple to install one of these but like Hybrid cars it will not pay for itself over the typical life of the product.

TomatoSurfer said...

Hmmm. I am feeling challenged. Interesting.

The Phosgene Kid said...

I am still trying to figure out why I would have to pay my power company more if I wanted to have them route energy from renewable resources into my house. Wouldn't that be cheaper or do they figure it is just another way to seem PC while putting the gouge on us?