Monday, November 17, 2008

I am alive..promise.

I have just been very busy. We had the Gulf Coast Arts Festival not long ago and put a few to many hours in making it happen. Not that it was a bad thing, just sucked up a bunch of time but the payoff was fun.

I have been swamped by ornament requests. This is good but I really want to take the ornaments up a notch. When I say that what I mean is that I want to create something that people really can't get thier hands on somewhere else. I want to design and create something that is out of the norm. Now everyone loves the round ornaments and the big wiz bang deal with the round ones is getting them to not be as heavy as a boat anchor. Making a semi round ornament is not a big deal. Making a perfect round ornament while a little harder is not a big deal if you have a lot of glass on the pipe. Making a nice round hand blown glass ornament that weights less than a your shoe...not so easy.

I have texture this year. I have scales. I have ribbons of color. I have had a lot of fun playing around at Strong Street Studio this year. It is really starting to show up on the creations. I can't wait to drop a couple of them on etsy because the pumpkins are really starting to sell. I think these might be a big hit.

Scott.
.

4 comments:

Sloth said...

get the ranger working and it makes heating spot to do things much much easier..... Still trying to fugue out when I will get home for Christmas with all that is going ok but will have to figure it out soon

Anonymous said...

Yup. A perfectly round paper thin sphere with color is a challenge. I have two consignment commits for 60 each so I have been doing nothing but blowing ornaments for the last 5 weeks. I bought 2 spiral arts cup pipes that have helped to get the weight down immensely.

Larry C

The Phosgene Kid said...

Can't wait to see the ornaments!!

sunflowerpipes.com said...

I have never had a better glass piece than a one a bought from a local glass blower. It was an inside out Pyrex glass bubbler with a ton of 3d detailing and amazing coloring. Glass art and glass pipes are a great art form where the artisan can make a good living from their craft and create something functional and beautiful.
http://www.sunflowerpipes.com