Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Second Annual Pensacola Glass Pumpkin Patch is getting big!

Ok so this year is out of control! I am pretty sure last night that I hit 350 on the pumpkins. This year the pumpkins are so much better than anything else I have ever made. I guess when you make 350 of something all by yourself you tend to get good at it.

People that live around me have had to deal with ALO and The Bravery blasting out of my Ipod dock speakers for the last 4 months pretty much non-stop. The guys over the fence to the left of me call me "The Mad Blower" and my buddy Pete, that lives across the street, calls me the "The Pumpkin King". I think I will go with "The Mad Pumpkin King" which has a nice ring to it. Then again I could just go with what my uncle Chuck calls me but that is not fit to type.

Last night I had a moment when inspiration and luck hit a the same time. I finally figured out how to do something I have been working on for about two weeks now. It was such a wonderful pumpkin I quit making them after I put it in the annealer. I actually took the time to write down the steps so I would not forget them. I never do that, I trust my memory but when you make 40 pumpkins 40 different ways and it finally works you might need to take a moment to scrible down what it is you did. MiniMolli was not as impressed with it this morning because she has no idea how long I have been trying to create this kind of pumpkin. I have come close many times but never hit it just right. All she said was "humm...that is nice". NICE! it is wonderful woman bask in my greatness and fan yourself. I kid, it was nice...nice and great but after all it was just a pumpkin...a great pumpkin!

My brother Ryan comes in from Cali today so I will have some 4 year experienced glass blowing hands to help me make my acorns. Kim and Ryan are about the only people that can help me make them because honestly you have to be able to control the glass in a way that only experience gives you. I hope to get about 10 acrons out for the party. They are one of the hardest things to make and I enjoy making them but I only have about a 50% success rate on the good side. I think we will also try to make one really HUGE stinking pumpkin up at the Belmont now that they are online as of tomorrow.

What else? I guess that is it for now.


Scott.
.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrads, congrads, condrads...once again, job well done.
Kim

Sloth said...

acorns we will get done that is not an issue and only 10 to 2o that is weak I fiugre after if figure out the process we can hammer them out without an issue. As I always say "go big or go home" if you can go big make it blue if you can't control the blue make it just plain big and if all else fails make it a flutter bowl :-) Lets make some glass!!!

G3T Films said...

See, now I want to see some photo's.

EXSENO said...

I scrolled down to see what I have missed and found your pictures of your pumpkins and acorn and I think your a wonderful glass blower. That dark one was very special indeed I think I'd call it a smoky gray, but anyway they're all lovely.