Yesterday I had a mini melt down at work. Not a melt down you have like a loony running around kicking over chairs and screaming "A Dingo ate my LunchBox!" more of a running out of steam and feelling sick melt down. I guess I could say I was just pushing myself a little to close to the edge and took a step over.
Anyway I went home took a nap and felt right as rain 4 hours later just in time to go blow some glass for the first time in about 3 weeks. I had a different outlook last night. I knew there was something I wanted to make and how I wanted to make it but no shape in mind. No real goal, just the idea of being in the shop was enough.
Kim and I kicked out this really cool vase that is about 8 inch wide and 12 inches tall. I am going to call this series "Totems" because I kind of got the idea when in Seattle looking at all the Totems that are around the city. This is the second time I have tried to make something like this but I am using a different applicaiton of color this time. The very first try I made sold last week for a good chuck of cash so I will go back to that style at a later date. It is not that I don't like it because I do. It is just not exactlly the look I was going for. It has a nice look to it and I plan to pick it back up at a later date.
The "Totems" need a tighter, crisper, more defined line. The first try made a tight line but the ribbons of color turned out to be much to large. What I am going for is a thinner line with defined color. More like the way the totems stacked and the colors worked between the totem faces that gave me the idea. I plan to really change the way that the colors stack from the ones I did last night also but I need to work on the application of the rings of color before I can move onto the next step. Work in progress.
Anyway, they will not be out of the annealer until Friday night but I plan to take some pictures of them this weekend. I know it is only Thursday but I hope you guys have a nice extended weekend.