Thursday, May 22, 2008

Wed. Night Blow slot update.

Yesterday I had a mini melt down at work. Not a melt down you have like a loony running around kicking over chairs and screaming "A Dingo ate my LunchBox!" more of a running out of steam and feelling sick melt down. I guess I could say I was just pushing myself a little to close to the edge and took a step over.

Anyway I went home took a nap and felt right as rain 4 hours later just in time to go blow some glass for the first time in about 3 weeks. I had a different outlook last night. I knew there was something I wanted to make and how I wanted to make it but no shape in mind. No real goal, just the idea of being in the shop was enough.

Kim and I kicked out this really cool vase that is about 8 inch wide and 12 inches tall. I am going to call this series "Totems" because I kind of got the idea when in Seattle looking at all the Totems that are around the city. This is the second time I have tried to make something like this but I am using a different applicaiton of color this time. The very first try I made sold last week for a good chuck of cash so I will go back to that style at a later date. It is not that I don't like it because I do. It is just not exactlly the look I was going for. It has a nice look to it and I plan to pick it back up at a later date.

The "Totems" need a tighter, crisper, more defined line. The first try made a tight line but the ribbons of color turned out to be much to large. What I am going for is a thinner line with defined color. More like the way the totems stacked and the colors worked between the totem faces that gave me the idea. I plan to really change the way that the colors stack from the ones I did last night also but I need to work on the application of the rings of color before I can move onto the next step. Work in progress.

Anyway, they will not be out of the annealer until Friday night but I plan to take some pictures of them this weekend. I know it is only Thursday but I hope you guys have a nice extended weekend.

Scott.
.

5 comments:

G3T Films said...

I'd love to see photo's if you get the chance.

MiniMolli said...

The title of this post sounds a little dirty...

Anonymous said...

I saw what was left of your pieces this morning after the annealer had it's way with them. It was sad.
Kim

The Phosgene Kid said...

Sounds cool. Happy Memorial weekend,hopefully you can rest up a bit.

Chunk said...

I thought the same Mini....but wasn't gonna say it.