Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Tabula rasa

Well I got a new computer at work yesterday. Which on the surface is pretty nice but when you really look at what you have to do it is one big giant pain in the arse. I had been using what 5 years ago was the biggest wizbang computer you could buy. A dual Xeon 2.something ghrz 4 gig of ram monster. Not that it did anything but talk to routers, firewalls, and switches all day. Ok sometimes the domain controllers but for the most part it could have been a much smaller machine and done just fine.

Anyway back to my point which is 5 years worth of stuff was tucked up in that little piece of plastic and electronical nanunanus. It is hard to let go of it. You just know that you are going to miss moving something over in the move. Let alone the hours it takes to patch, install software, and well it becomes something of a nightmare to do. I am not your normal village idiot when it comes to this stuff and I dread it. Ok that last statement is debatable but you get my point.

So all this was a lame attempt to tell you I am a little bit behind the 8 ball.


Scott.
.

3 comments:

Damsel Underdressed said...

I know what you mean and I am a village idiot when it comes to computers. I dread the day I have to get a new computer. I'll just pick the important things and have someone do it all for me.

The Phosgene Kid said...

I work with the devil-be-damned things as well. I hate to see one of the newer PCs we have go out because it generally means I have to install a new motherboard - even the nic is integrated. I have one now with a blown power supply - AWOP...

angel said...

aah, the joys of loading a new machine... i feel your pain having recently completed the process myself!