Monday, December 10, 2007

The Belmont Bizzare (sic)

So this weekend was the Belmont Bizzare, yes that is sort of like mix between I assume Bizarre, Bazaar, and some kind of Pensacola Translation for Business like "The Bizz". To be honest Corkchop and I have had quite a few talks about this odd spelling and if you know me at all for me to be correcting someone elses spelling is ironic in and of itself.

The Belmont Bizzare this year was indeed bizarre. I will go on record and say that the very first one was a smashing success. People came out of the wood work for that one and I was very surprised by the sheer numbers of people. That was before christmas and everyone was looking to get stuff for family and friends I assume. The next Art Sale was in the summer and was to be very honest pretty slow. I attributed this to it not being christmas and people not looking for gifts for family and friends.

This years Belmont Bizzare was like the summer art sale. Now the weather was not the greatest so that might have had a little bit to do with it, but you can really tell a drop off in the customer base. I still did pretty good because we had basically taken everything that we had and marked it down 50%. I sold about 1/2 of the glass that I had stored up and that was great. I honestly don't believe that I would have sold much of anything if I was not marked down to the prices I had. I know for sure that everyone around me sold next to nothing. In fact two people sold exactly that...not a single thing.

Alas, I don't know what to suggest to get this show back on track. I know that after talking to people about it there was come things that came to the surface.

#1. No one is making anything different. It was the same stuff as last year. (customer feed back)

#2. Price points are either to high for what is there or the filp side they think this show is bottom feeder art and they would just rather go to the Gulf Coast Arts the month before.(customer feed back)

#3. They dont' like coming down to the Belmont. (customer that did not come)

#4. They did not know about it. (Me, and everyone I talked to)

Now I think that a lot of it is #4. Everyone that I personally talked to about it or e-mailed did not know about it. I think the single most important thing that could be done to make this a better show would be to figure out how to get the word out better. I think you could make a huge push one time and then ride on the rewards of that for years. Just look at the Gulf Coast Arts Festival they do next to no adverts now that they are established.

Anyway, it went well for me and I hate that it did not go well for others. I think they are going to have problems filling booths next year.

On a side note one of the elements droped into the glass pot last night. So I got to see my fist Si-Carbide element floating in molten glass. Cool looking, but not productive and one big pain in the arse for the Belmont. Sometimes that place just can't catch a break even when everyone is trying to make it happen.


Scott.
.

3 comments:

plantfreek said...

Congrats on your sales...maybe it will go better for everyone next year. There are ways of getting free advertising.

Is the floating element going to have an impact on hgcb? Are you still planning to be there?

Gnat of Glass said...

Yes Plantfreek I plan on going. It should not cause to many problems.


Scott.
.

plantfreek said...

Great. let us know if we can help out somehow. We might be able to come early. Some brew plus the demos plus meeting you guys should easily be worth $40 for the two of us.

ray&kim