Tuesday, October 16, 2007

1st Annual Strong Street Studio Pumpkin Party

As promised here are some pictures of the Strong Street Studio Glass Pumpkin Party in Pensacola Florida. That sentence was for the search engines...

Now for the good stuff. Here I am about 2pm on the day of the party just as we got all the pumpkins out of the packing and after I set up all the display pallets. Great idea my dad had for making the pumpkin display out of pallets I think. What you see here is about 180 glass pumpkins and me...with my alter ego.

Here is a close up of the front of the group of glass pumpkins. Pretty much everything you see here is gone. I think I only have about 12 pumpkins left and of those maybe half of them are on hold for people to come pick up. I also have orders for about 20 more.


Here is a closer picture of the back end of the pumpkins. The one that it on the invite is in this crowd. Bianca Lee purchased the invite pumpkin and did not even know it until she paid for it and MiniMolli told her.


This is the only picture that we got of the bigger display before the everyone started picking off the their favorites. It was so much fun to see everyone pick one up and say "I love this one" then put it down and go "No this one!...Wait look at that one!". This is about 10 minutes into the offical opening.

Now we are about 4:30 and people are really starting to roll in. We had the light all strung up and a free bar with beer and wine. I even had a bartender! Thanks Kendal!

Here is a shot of the glory hole, marver, and bench. We have not started up demos yet but I would guess this was about 4:45 or so and there might be about 50 people here at this point. I think before the night was over about 250 people went in and out of my back yard.


Below is the night before the party. We needed to give the equipment a once over before we did demos the next day. Here is the first offical gather from the furnace. That is Kim in the background opening up the furnace for me. If you look close she is grinning like a mad woman!




This is the glory hole all fired up and reheating the first piece ever at the new studio.



Here I am putting the side walls on the first piece. It was a drinking glass and you can see Kim's son Conner in the background. He is a future Master Glass blower. He is quite good already. Dig MiniMollli's red chairs.


Once last parting picture. Me grinning while looking at my first gather ever in my own shop. I was trying not to smile.

Thank you to everyone that came to the pumpkin party and grand opening. It has blown me away how many people came, purchased, and wished me well.

I would also like to take some time to thank the people that really put in and helped me out.

Ed for understanding how important this was for me and helping me every chance he got.

Dad and Mom for always being there on the spot to lend a hand.

Kendal and Tina for really knocking it up a notch and leanding a huge hand at the party.

Tim, Mike, Joe, and Rick for helping at the Belmont any chance they could.

Mike DeSorbo for kicking out the awesome food.

Kim for being the engine that never died in the shop. Helping me make all these pumpkins and always there to listen to me bitch and vent about how things where not working as I planned. You where a driving force that had endless energy.

Last but not least to my wife and best friend MiniMolli: It could not happen without you. You are the best thing that has ever happend to me and this would have never ever happend without you. I could write 20 pages about everything you did, helped with, or made happen. You are my muse.

Scott.

.

11 comments:

snowelf said...

Scott, Molli, and Kim, :)

How awesome!! I am absolutely amazed by all the different varieties of pumpkins!! Congrats again and here's to many more pumpkin parties!!

--snow

Damsel Underdressed said...

One word...AWESOME. Seriously, great job!

Nysidra said...

I had oodles of fun. I look forward to the next one!

Anonymous said...

You are right, I was smiling like a mad woman. It was so exciting!
You and Molli did a great job, the party/sale was just faboulous.
Kim

Rich said...

I want the deep green one with the black stem... oh, I know it's probably been taken... and I don't want to pay for it. I just want it... I'm selfish like that :)

Looks like it would have been fun Scott. Although I could see myself getting into trouble at a party with super heated glass, 'Oooo look at the pretty fire filled glory hole, oooooooouch, someone call an Ambulance!!!!!'

The Phosgene Kid said...

Most excellent, wish I could have been there!! That looks like a real hoot. It would be neat to see how the glass is made.

Hope the storms have given you all a pass...

Eternally Curious said...

Absolutely awesome! Congrats, big big Congratulations, Scott & Molli!! Wish I could have been there!

angel said...

MAN!!! thats incredible- i live the pallets as display stands! HUGE congratulations on such a marvellous success gnat!

Jewels said...

What an amazing grand opening!Wow! You should be so proud of yourself Scott. All of you should. It is absolutely wonderful that you have this fantastic support system surrounding you.
The pumpkin displays brilliant. My only complaint is that I couldn't be there to take part in the purchasing of your gorgeous art.
You deserved to smile in that photo, and I don't think anyone would have thought less of you if you had. It should never be thought of as unacceptable to show and share your happiness. Glow with it! ;)

Um, is that fabulously large dark brown/purpley one with the dark green stem in the first photo (It would be at the forefront/bottom of the photo) sold? 'Cause I want that one. Oh, and I'd even pay for it! ;)

Jewels said...

OH, and might I add that that last tribute to Minimolli was a heart string tugger? You incurable romantic you! ;)

The Phosgene Kid said...

Happy punkin' fest!!!