Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Life is Good.

I just realized that everything is going pretty damn well right now. Work is busy busy, but not out of control. You know that kind of busy that makes the day go by really quick but not so out of control that is it stressful. I give a lot of credit to the people that I work with everyday for that one. CorkChop, The Mexican, Nysidra, Fart Blossom, and a host of other characters that I am sure don't want me talking about them here.

Anyway on that note I have news on a couple of fronts. First off let’s talk about the last Hot Glass Cold Beer night at the Belmont Arts Center. I will make this quick. This is the last one this summer as it is just getting to hot in the Glass Blowing area to continue after this one(Corrected they are having them all summer it seems). I plan on making tumblers on my personal time to have in "reserve" for people that I know that make it up to the shop. So if you come this time I have a tumber hiding out in the back for you.

Second, I am going to GAS (Glass Art Society) conference this year to network my little glass ass off. Ok so it is not so little, but the idea is the same. The glass world is such a small little place and everyone is connected in some way to someone else that works with glass. You have heard of the 6 degrees of separation? In glass it is more like 2 degrees. Anyway, it is in Pittsburgh this year and I am bouncing off the walls to go. I will get to meet up with Damsel Under Stress, all the guys over at the Craftweb Board, Bella Forte Glass Master of the Pizza that posts here, MiniMolli's sister, Corkchops better half, and maybe Plum will muster up some steam to make it also.

Third,

What I have named "The Big Push". This is the first time I have loosed my code name for my shop on the world. Well, ok not that name of that shop itself that is going to be "Strong Street Studio" because, well it is on Strong Street and it sounds pretty cool. So the "The Big Push" or "TBP" for short is my name for everything I have been doing to get the shop up and going. I love lists so here is where I am:

#1. 2 pottery kilns without controllers. They are going to work fine for my annealers. I have all the parts for the controllers. This is the last thing I am going to worry about because I can fire them up as annealers and just baby them down.

#2. The home made furnace. I build one that will hold a 40 pound pot. This is going to be my color pot. Blues to start off with then maybe some copper ruby reds. Like the annealers this is already build now and just needs the controllers.

#3. The custom made clear furnace. I have this on order and it will hold about 80 pounds of clear glass or 50 depending on what kind of pot I put in the beast. I am going to go ahead and order an 80 pound pot and just fill it with what I need at any given time.

#4. Purchased all the pieces parts for the Gloryhole, that is the reheating furnace. I need to go pick up a new welder as I blew the other one up. This is something I don't talk about anymore but it was spectacular. This should be pretty easy to do, and well I need to get on this part.

#5. The shed...Which was the first part of "The Big Push" is almost done. I honestly at this point only need to construct a door and it is done. Then I can move all the crap out of the garage and start on the renovation in there. Good deal of work went into getting to this point. I can't wait to move all the crap out of the garage and toss the rest. Spring cleaning if you will.

#6. Have all my hand tools from Jim Moore, all my pipes from CRM, all my molds from Stienart, and all my wood blocks from Hot Blocks tools.

#7. Have my plans to build my bench. Have my buckets on wheels; knock off buckets...etc..etc.

#8. Ok I have no #8.

Things I still have to do by Aug. 12, 2007.

#1. Run the electric.
#2. Build the Glory.
#3. Build the Bench.
#4. Cut out the garage for the equipment under the pergola.
#5. Build the pull down door to secure the equipment when not in use.
#5. Build Controllers.
#6. Build the hood and secure vents.
#7. Mount the fans to keep me to cool for school.
#8. Buy MiniMolli and new fridge so I can move the old one out to my Glass blowing Lair for beer.
#9. Order batch/cullet.
#10. Install sound system because you can’t work without music.
#11. Party at the glass shop and everyone is invited of course.

Any questions?

3 comments:

Plum's Penny Dreadful said...

YOU ARE THE BOMB! First off---don't you love that feeling like everything is just in flow mode and your rolling and nothings in the way??? Live for it. Second---I had no IDEA your shop was gonna be so elaborate---I pictured a shack out behind your house. Doin it up right!! Post pics for heavens sake!

Damsel Underdressed said...

Ha ha...I saved a political cartoon from yesterday's paper for you. I'll give it to you when I see you next month. It's about a Pittsburgher asking, "What's with all this glass stuff?" It's true. There's everywhere around here now. Every museum, etc.

MiniMolli said...

woohoo!! NEW fridge!