Wednesday, April 4, 2007

April Fools

Ok so I said I would only post glass but I need to do this real quick.

I am sitting here in the server room at work waiting on one of my Blade Servers to rebuild..fun! I was thinking about my friend who I pulled one serious wammy on this April Fools day. It all started out pretty simple. My partner in crime, we will call him Demon, and I where talking about April Fools and how we kind of missed it this year. Then it hit me the perfect scam! As it turned out way way way too perfect. It fooled my friend so well it sent him past concern and well into panic, to the point that I now feel horrible about doing it. We work on a very sensitive project here, that is used the world over by some very important people for very important stuff. I basically made it look like our site(his baby and all his hard work) was hacked from China. I really did a bang up job, and I did it well. It was so real, and well put together that it fooled more than just the target. It was only local to his machine and a couple others but it was cripling to see it and think about what was going to happen to him, and everyone on the project. Only after I did it did it realized what must have been going thought his head when he saw it.

It started as a ha ha got you, and turn into a full on just bad idea on my part. What I did not think about was that he would fear for his job, my job, and everyone on the projects job. That it would send him into a state that no one should have been subjected to. For that I am truely sorry and I made a bad decision. Lets hope that CorkChop will let me live it down. I know that I better keep my guard up next year for I am liable to find my house surrounded by a swat team or something.

So in short, I am sorry I took that one a little to far before I thought about it.


Scott.
.

ps. TO make me feel even worse about myself he gave me a late x-mas present this morning. It was spot on perfect....ugg he is twisting the knife. KAAAAAHHHHNNNN!!

6 comments:

Snowelf said...

Wow Gnat...

I am a Networking Major and even I felt that horrific swell of fear just reading that! Nice job. Maybe too nice of a job!

--snow

Damsel Underdressed said...

Poor guy! You are so in trouble next year!

Damsel Underdressed said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gnat of Glass said...

Snowelf->

I built a quick httpd server. Droped the files on it, redirected the internal DNS just for a scope of ips, and then wamo The game was on.

Did not have any effect on production services, just 3 machines. It was flawlessly executed.

He laughs about it now so it is pretty much ok, but man did it send him for a loop.

DU - Serious serious trouble. I often think about it for 10 or 15 seconds before I am able to get it out of my head. Think he might forget?


Scott.
.

Plum's Penny Dreadful said...

Oh my god. You brainy types are just dangerous....

Snowelf said...

~hee hee~
... DNS redirects are pure evil...

>:)
--snow