Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Time to have some fun.

Ok here is the deal. I want to do something fun for everyone that reads this. I am going to have a contest, and the winner gets a piece of hand made glass made by me. The first prize is going to be a paperweight. I have not made this paperweight yet and that is going to be part of the fun. You will be picking the colors, and I will decide how to make it. Arrange it. Then I will make it, cough...cough...ART! As and added bonus I will give out a 2nd and 3rd place prize and maybe use those contests in the future....you never know. So don't be shy, come up with something!

Ok Glass Contest#1: Prize is a hand made paperwight from yours truely. To win this first time, you need to come up with a really cool way for me to have a contest in the future. Something like guessing a number is not what I am looking for here. I want something a little more interesting but can be done with not much work. I figure anything that takes more than a 5 minutes is to much work.

Exaples would be and are already in the running:

Movie quote: I am a move quote master. Problem is google, you guys will just type it in.
Song quote: Same thing as above.
Name that Tool: I kind of like this one...requires a picture, can't look that up on google.
Who's Anna Nichols baby's Daddy: Funny, but not practical.
Real or Fake: I don't think I would get away with taking random pictures of women for very long.

I will let CorkChop, MiniMolli, my glass partner in crime Kim, and Myself as I tie breaker in case Cork, Mini, or Kim comes up with a great idea and is in the running.

Suggestions on how to make the site more interesting are welcome as well. I aim to please....


Scott.
.

11 comments:

Drama Queen said...

I once worked as a buyer for a big glass company. For my induction I got to make my own paperweight. I am so proud of it. I never knew how much work into them. And I would never have thought the swirly thing could be done with a 6 inch nail. . .

Dan said...

I hate memes so when someone tagged me with one I turned it into a contest. The meme was to list six weird things about myself. I listed six but only three were real. The winner was the one who identified the most as real.

Hey! Thanks for visiting my blog last week!

Not Ashley said...

Thanks again for the info on how my paperweight was made!

Here's my contest suggestion:

Name the strangest, weirdest, or most unusual gift that you've ever received.

"Best" gift wins.

Sloth said...

How about a list of 3 unknown glass studios in the North Florida area that rent time to students? And have glasses! Belmont does not count due to that is where you are!

Plum's Penny Dreadful said...

Shame about the movie quotes---i would had a field day with it but Google has to go and take all the fun outta everything. Maybe we should email you something that you can judge? Like Messiest door stoop, or Ugliest Feet. I prefer guessing stuff, but really, again, Google: Messing it Up for The Little Guy

Plum's Penny Dreadful said...

Oh! Oh! Make a jar of marbles, take a picture, and we'll guess the number!! And it incorporates Glass!! (Ahhhhh---she is a bright, shiny penny, she is)

jin said...

Damn! I was going to say what Dan said...because I did that same one after he did...
so...
*jin thinks*
...
*jin thinks some more*
...
*jin starts eating a chocolate truffle*
...
*thinks some more*
...
ok, I think I have an idea.

You could write a few lines, the beginning of a story (about WHATEVER you want) then we have to finish it in a few lines (how ever many you say) & you could judge it on the most creative or bizarre or funny or tragic, etc., ending.

I hope that made sense.
LOL...I'm running on empty this week.

Jewels said...

Aw man! I was gonna use the marbles in a jar idea. (I'd do it with beads!) ;)

Hmmm, how about you put a picture of a paper weight up, and we try to guess its weight? Or a bowl, or ornament...

The Phosgene Kid said...

Posting a close up picture of an object and having folks try to guess what it is might be interesting. Or they could do a short essay on why they deserve a deluxe hand crafted one of a kind Gnat paperweight.

Barring those ideas, post a movie quote and have folks try to figure out what movie it is from and who said it.

Desert Camouflage? I'd leave the colors up to you, though I am partial to blue and green.

Gnat of Glass said...

Man these are all great ideas. I really think what I am going to do is has the guys figure out a winner over the weekend for the first contest.

Then I might just start using the other ideas for contests after that. Who ever came up with the contest gets a marble. They are kind of cool and fun to make. I make a marble every time I test out a new color combo...some are well ugly, but some are really cool. then again every time I think something is just batshit ugly someone else just loves it...go figure.

Anyway, I of to pick up last nights work. I will post a couple of picks if anything is cool...marbles, paperweights, and a couple cups. My hand is still busted up so I can make big stuff again yet.

I will post the winner with the pictures.


Scott.
.

Plum's Penny Dreadful said...

Oh--now I am a fan of his blog--but I dig Phos CU photo idea. That could be a real Hum Dinger of a Contest. I love interactive Blogs!!! Sigh of Happiness....